8/10/2005

My trip to AZ - The stash increases


I drove to Mesa, Arizona on Tuesday morning to pick up my youngest son who had been staying with his cousin and her family for a couple of weeks. The drive from Long Beach was easy and we left early enough to avoid traffic. Before I left I googled LYS's in Mesa and found The Fiber Factory. I then goggled directions from my niece's house to the shop. What a great find. Their selection was so fun to browse through. I had a very tough time selecting what I wanted, because I wanted everything. I ended up with the following:
1. Mission Falls 1824 cotton yarn in black and gold for a hat for my nephew;
2. Cotton yarn from Southwest Trading Company called Beyond in red and white, just because it had such a cool texture;
3. Three skeins of Cascade Yarn's 100% wool in maroon, grey and gold to make a felted purse;
4. One skein of Sirdar's Curly Wurly in a blue variegated;
5. A wool winder by Royal. I broke down and bought it because it was about the same price as I had seen them online and I could carry this one back to California with me. The funny thing is, I couldn't wait to try it and pulled it out while I was sitting in my car during my nephew's football practice. I actually hooked it up to the steering wheel and wound away! What a cool device. I am going to be so busy winding. Again, something to keep me from actually getting my crocheting done;
6. Two books. A book called Fun and Funky Crochet by Sophie Britten.. It has some pretty nice patterns. I especially like the purses and hats. I plan to get some done before Christmas. The other is a little leisure Art's project book. I was drawn to it because of the teddy bear on the cover but I also like the Rice Roll and will be a nice gift.
7. Two hooks. One Brittany G, since I use the G hook so much in so many projects and a Skace size "A". I just wanted to get the feel of each of these hooks. Uh oh... am I now going down the path of HAS???

I, of course, spent more than I thought I would when I walked into this heaven. I couldn't help myself. I saw so many of the things I had been admiring in my online browsing. A few of these things I had actually put into a shopping cart, but ended up closing my web browser because the store didn't take PayPal and I would have to go and hunt down my purse and credit card. PayPal can be so dangerous in the hands of someone with my addictions!

The store personel were just as awesome as the store itself. I had my 6 year nephew with me and they had a basket of toys which kept him busy as I browsed around and admired what I knew I could not afford. The clerk that helped me directed me to the wool she used for her felted purse and actually went and got it to show it to me. They offered more knitting classes than crochet, but their hook selection rivaled the knitting needles and their selection of crochet books was the best I have ever seen in one store. I would highly recommend stopping by if you are in the area. It is in a lovely section of Mesa, and is surrounded by some other very cute shops. It is now monsoon season in Arizona, so it was raining pretty heavily while we were in the shop, and along with having my nephew with me, I didn't get to venture into the other stores. Next visit...I go alone!

Then I was off to the local Walmart to purchase snacks for the return trip. Of course I had to look at their yarn selection and low and behold what did I find... cones of Peaches and Cream in new colors, Dalmatian and Black Cherry of course, both went into the cart along with a purse handle that was under $4.

Where will all this new acquisition go??? Well, that is a topic for another day.

No comments: