These are the things I got from my swap partner in the Dog Days of Summer swap. The cloth is a cute paw print, some lovely soap, 3 stitch markers that came in a cute box, Sugar 'n Cream Twist and the cutest card made by my partner. Swaps are so fun, it's like a birthday or Christmas when you get that package in the mail.
Here are a few interesting little tidbits of crochet trivia I've come across that I hope you will enjoy!
- The first national crochet contest was held in 1937. Representing 32 states, 214 people entered the contest.
- In 1885, Laura Stafford helped establish the Philadelphia Guild, which later evolved into The Needlework Guild of America.
- The term "afghan" originated with the early American settlers, who first
bought "Afghanistan blankets" from European trading ships. Later, they
crocheted their own with scraps of yarn left over from knitting.
- Ann Orr, one of America's most popular and prolific crochet designers of
the early 20th century, became the principal editor and designer for
Coats & Clark's needlework publications while still only a teenager.
- James Buchanan, the 15th President of the United States (1857-1861), liked to crochet.
- In the United States, Boye Needle Company produced the first complete line
of American-made steel crochet hooks in 1917. Each hook sold for a
- Do you knit, or crochet, or do both? How long have you been knitting\crocheting? Knitting about 2 years - Crocheting about 20 years.
- Are there any cotton yarns you don’t enjoy knitting with? I've not really found any I dislike.
- What type of needle do you prefer using? (Metal/Wood/Plastic) Metal if not my plastic Denise needles. Clover metal hooks for crochet.
- What other projects do you enjoy knitting or crocheting? Baby clothes. I am currently working on shrugs and I like to knit socks. Unfortunately I try just about everything so I have many projects in the works.
- Do you have other hobbies or enjoy other kinds of crafting? I like to sew when I find the time. I like to read and I have my favorite TV shows.
- What kind of treats do you like? Chocolate? Candies? Nuts? Dieting right now, so most are off my list at the time. Sugar free gum is good.
- What colors are your kitchen and bath decorated in, if any? My kitchen is under construction at the moment and my bathroom is done in Travertine tile - browns and tans and sage green.
- What are your favorite colors and what colors do you dislike? I love greens - sage - really most shades. I also like red and pink
- Do you drink coffee? Tea? Other beverages? Coffee and chai latte is my favorite hot drink
- Do you have any kids (human or pet variety!)? I have 3 sons 21 (out of the house) 19 and 16, 2 outdoor cats and a snake.
- Do you have any allergies? none
- Please share 3 tidbits about yourself that you think your pal and other swappers might find odd or interesting. Though I live near the beach now, I grew up in the Mojave desert (I prefer the beach). I have a collection of ceramic and wooden suns from places we have visited.
With Independence Day just around the corner and the serious events going on in the U.K. and Scotland, I was feeling a little patriotic today. Not that we are planning a big 4th of July event - we are just going down to the in-laws for a BBQ and fireworks. I am crocheting up a pork pie hat with the red, navy and variegated cotton I bought. It doesn't look like much now, but when it is folded and sewn and the rest of the body and brim are done it should look great.
This is what I have completed so far.I bought a flower maker that is a small version of the knifty knitter - actually made by the same company and made this flower this afternoon. I have found some other ribbon and plan to make a couple of patriotic flowers. This one is missing the white so I will add it to the next flower.
My final photo is the bracelet I bought at a local craft show. I've seen them for years and never had the opportunity to purchase one. They were cheap, so now I have one. It isn't the most comfortable thing that I have worn but for a day, I can sacrifice.
So, if I don't post before Wednesday - Have a