Here are a few interesting little tidbits of crochet trivia I've come across that I hope you will enjoy!
- The first national crochet contest was held in 1937. Representing 32 states, 214 people entered the contest.
- In 1885, Laura Stafford helped establish the Philadelphia Guild, which later evolved into The Needlework Guild of America.
- The term "afghan" originated with the early American settlers, who first
bought "Afghanistan blankets" from European trading ships. Later, they
crocheted their own with scraps of yarn left over from knitting.
- Ann Orr, one of America's most popular and prolific crochet designers of
the early 20th century, became the principal editor and designer for
Coats & Clark's needlework publications while still only a teenager.
- James Buchanan, the 15th President of the United States (1857-1861), liked to crochet.
- In the United States, Boye Needle Company produced the first complete line
of American-made steel crochet hooks in 1917. Each hook sold for a